HTrump administration on Tuesday gave formal notice that it intends to withdraw from the World Health Organization as of 7 July 2021, following President Donald Trump’s announcement at the World Health Assembly on 18 May. With the move immediately being attacked by health officials and critics of the administration.

The withdrawal notification was sent to U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday and will take effect in a year, on July 6, 2021, the State Department and the United Nations said on Tuesday.

U.N. Secretary-General is in the process of verifying with the WHO whether all the conditions for such withdrawal are met under the 1946 WHO constitution as one of his spokesman, Stephane Dujarric, said.

Under the terms of the withdrawal;
*The U.S. must meet its financial obligations to the WHO before it can be finalized.
*The U.S., which is the agency’s largest donor and provides it with more than $400 million per year, currently owes the WHO some $200 million in current and past dues.

Trump, who announced the decision on May, has to give one-year notice of the U.S. withdrawal from the Geneva-based body and pay all Washington’s dues under a 1948 joint resolution of the U.S. Congress.

After more than 70 years of membership, the U.S. moved to give a notice removal from the WHO amid mounting tensions with China over the coronavirus pandemic. The virus first emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan late last year.

The WHO has denied claims by Trump that it promoted Chinese “disinformation” about the virus.

Do you have a story you would like us publish? Please reach us through news@eastupdates.com

Author

Share:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *